Translate

Sunday, 27 December 2015

A CHRISTMAS ROBIN.


          Robins, wonderful little birds, we all love them in our family, as do most of Great Britain I think. Such a pretty little bird, we have two living around our garden. They love the little bird bath in the front garden and the food that my husband puts out in the back garden. He loves to watch them flitting around from plant to plant. 
        My grandad used to adore robins and would always say he was going to come back to this earth one day as this cute little bird. . He was a wonderful man full of lovely stories most of which I think he made up. I worshipped him. Anyway after he had passed on my dad would always reckon any robin in the garden was his dad come back to see him. They are so friendly hard not to believe him really. So a great fondness for this little bird was gradually built up amongst our family. Of course Christmas cards for Mum and Dad often featured a robin and I made them a cross stitch picture as well.  
       So the love of these birds has grown among my children. My daughters have a picture of one on their blog as a logo. Crafting Addicts. My son started a job at Royal Crown Derby this year and almost immediately bought us a beautiful miniature robin. He sits on my mantlepiece where he can be seen easily.


          Therefore the choice for my card for this month's Clarity challenge was easy. The theme is a Christmas story. In my case the card had to feature a robin.


                 

                         I started by stamping my robin into place and masking off. 


                  

   
           Place the star window stencil over the top and secure with masking tape. Then brush over lightly with Cloudy Blue ink. 
                 

                   
                    

          
               Using Pumice Stone Distress ink and a sponge I carefully added a slightly darker edge to the window. I wanted to make it look like the stone frame. 


          Next place the brickwork stencil over the top and very lightly brush the outside edges with Mushroom ink. Be careful not to go over the window area and don't make it too dark.            

                                       Remove the stencil and mask from bird. 

  
         
      Colour in bird, I used Spectrum Noir pencils and also stamped some holly leaves in the corners of the window. 
                        

               Brush some Sparkle Medium in the star. Have to do this carefully to keep in the stencil lines. Love the effect when it dries. 
     
    

                 Just needed to stamp Peace and Joy in the top corners, add some little red gems for holly berries and mount onto green card before adding to a card base.



        I think it looks very Christmassy now. I gave this one to my husband for his Christmas card this year. Hope you all like it. 

       I will just give you some links for the stamps and stencils I have used. Of course all are available from  Claritystamps
       Robin
       Window Stencil
       Brickwork stencil
       Holly leaves    These were from a bigger set with a window in as well.
       Peace and Joy  Again from a larger bauble set.

             I hope you have all had a wonderful Christmas, seems to be over so quickly, all that planning. I look forward to another year though filled with lots of creativity. Thank-you for visiting. Please leave a comment if you have time.  xxx


         


               

21 comments:

  1. Lynne - this is so beautiful.. I'm sure your husband loved the card and thank you for sharing it with us. Merry Christmas, Susan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Susan. Yes, he did like it. Hope you had a lovely Christmas, goes too quick. xx

      Delete
  2. beautiful Card Lynne and what a lovely Robin your son got for you. Good luck and thanks for entering xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Linda. I love my little Robin, he bought me a swallow for Christmas which is just as lovely. xx

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful card Lynne. I love all the detail in the soft, muted background. The robin is just adorable and certainly tells your very personal Christmas story: thanks for sharing your memories and joining in with the Clarity challenge. Good luck! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Barbara. We are a family of softies and do love our little Robins. I think it is a story that will carry on down the generations. xx

      Delete
  4. So many beautiful details included, Lynne, indeed a labour of love. To feature a robin with your family memories - wonderful! On the robin front, we have three in residence - The Fat, The Slim and The Other although with the recent pruning, their habitat is a bit curtailed but not their food source as Mike is out every other day replenishing. Best wishes to you all for the coming year. ;~}

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank-you Shelagh. Strange really because the experts always say they are solitary birds but we have two males. I love the fact you have three and have given them nicknames. Happy New Year. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lynne I love you design, superb. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Naomi. Hope you had a lovely Christmas xx

      Delete
  7. Your card is so lovely very delicate but makes it good luck in the clarity challenge xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you. I tried to keep colours soft so the Robin would stand out. So glad you like it. Happy New Year. xx

      Delete
  8. Ahh! A beautiful robin Mum! Love it! I like the window it looks really effective. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Von. Knew you would like the little robin. xx

      Delete
  9. Love the colouring of your robin, so delicate, and that sparkle on your star is very pretty. Good luck in the challenge x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Lesley. I was pleased with the way the window looked. xx

      Delete
  10. A lovely composition Lynne, with some great use of colour and sparkle. Thanks for joining us in the challenge this month. Good luck! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Angela, lovely comment. I am enjoying colouring now. xx

      Delete
  11. A really lovely card, Lynne. You managed to get great depth into your creation. Good luck with your entry, and thank you for your lovely comments on my entry. xxx Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  12. A really lovely card, Lynne. You managed to get great depth into your creation. Good luck with your entry, and thank you for your lovely comments on my entry. xxx Maggie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Maggie. I love your entry, I am going to get the parchment out later. xx

      Delete