Translate

Sunday, 12 July 2015

SHADOW BOX HOUSE


      It was time for the Nottingham Clarity workshop this weekend. We had a slightly different project to work on this time.  We all completed a shadow box, these are small display boxes, painted and decorated in a theme. 
      I chose to make one in a vintage style, partly because I wanted to incorporate a couple of items from my mum and dad. I thought it was a good way to display these as they were in a cupboard not being seen. 
     Firstly I painted the box all over. I used Fresco chalk paints and mixed two colours Stone and Bora Bora. I did not be too precise as I wanted a slightly distressed look. Then it was a question of cutting papers to fit the back of each compartment in the box. A bit fiddly especially the top triangle but worth taking time to get them right. After that I just needed to add all the items I had collected. Some of the bits are pieces I bought quite cheaply from the Works and then painted them to look old. No need to spend loads and of course my two special pieces. 
     




              Above is the completed project and below I have shown some close ups of each compartment.


        Mum's thimble, she used to collect them but I could not keep all off them, so chose this one.



        Small plate which my mum and dad bought back from Jersey many years ago.  At least it is on show now. 

     
       The tape measure was made by using a stamp and then cutting to size and ageing the paper with Distress ink.



          Small bottles are from The Works and I filled them with beads.


       I made the small cushion in the picture above, it was a bit fiddly but worth the effort. All the flowers used are from Sweet Lilac.  Perfect for the look I wanted. The bunting was made by me. Hope you like this little house, it is going in my Dining room colours are just right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment