Translate

Thursday, 30 July 2015

A LEAFY BOX


      I have been attempting to decorate a little wooden box, I say attempting as I have not tried this sort of project before. It might have been better if I had planned what I was going to do but as with most of my projects it just evolved. I have used all Clarity stamps and stencils as I am going to enter it into this month's challenge which is ANYTHING GOES. Good to try something different.
       
        My little box is not an expensive one, I bought it from The Works. They have quite a few different wooden shapes, ideal for practicing on.  I started by painting all over with my base colour in Acrylic paint. I actually mixed two colours, Buff Titanium and a little bit of gold  acrylic. This gave me a slightly beige shade, neutral for adding design. It did not change the colour an awful lot but gave a good base to work on.

Plain box


        Using the sprig leaf stencil I sponged the design over the sides and top with black ink. I found a sponge gave a better outline on this project than a brush. 

After adding base shade.

Leafy sprigs sponged in place
     I wanted to add some flowers around the sides so I used Grunge paste for this. Just gives a bit of interest by raising the design. I also tinted the paste with a little gold paint so that when I painted final colour on there would be less chance of white bits showing. As I only wanted a little bit of the stencil design I masked off unwanted areas. However careful you think you will be some paste will always get where you don't want it otherwise. Trust me I know!

    
      


         Small flowers on edges and one large one on top.  Using Black Archival ink I stamped a leafy design around the edge on the top and some small butterflies. 



      I painted all the flowers and rubbed some gold gilding wax over them and around the edges of the box. Also added a little detail to the petals with a black pen.



     Some little black gems in the middle of flowers completed my design. 

Items used ;-    Double sprig stencil
                           Flower power stencil
                           Butterfly tree
                           Treehouse stamp and vines
          All available from Claritystamps.


     A slightly different project for me this month , hope you like it. It has been a learning process as well but fun to do.  Thankyou for visiting.  xx
                       
                       
                            

16 comments:

  1. Well done lovely work someone be happy to receive this good luck in the clarity challenge xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou for your lovely comment. Just might keep this for myself. xx

      Delete
  2. I think this is a lovely piece of art work. Thank you for taking the time to enter the challenge and the best of luck. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thahnkyou Carol. The stamps and stencils are so versatile for so many different projects. xx

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thankyou Janice, very kind. Enjoyable task. xx

      Delete
  4. Well worth waiting for Lynne - a lovely piece. (I bought some of those boxes in The Works recently, they are excellent value).
    Wishing you luck in the challenge this month xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Carol. Good to practice on some inexpensive items. xx

      Delete
  5. So very pretty, hope you have enjoyed stepping out of your comfort zone. Thanks for entering the Clarity Challenge and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Naomi, I did enjoy it and I am getting used to the messy side a bit more. There are some lovely ideas to try. xx

      Delete
  6. What a lovely project Lynne, the final box looks great. Thanks for entering this month's Clarity challenge. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Angela. Think this might fit quite well in my hall so will get used. Looking forward to seeing what the next challenge brings. xx

      Delete
  7. A very pretty box, Lynne, and how wonderful that you have embarked into another crafting area. Wishing you success in the challenge! ;~}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Shelagh. I am trying to keep up with all the different techniques. It is good to try different things as well. xx

      Delete
  8. Really like this idea! I love decorative boxes. Will have a look at trying this for myself. Good luck in the challenge. Von xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Von, you will have to raid Heather's acrylic paints. xx

      Delete