Translate

Saturday, 23 May 2015

VINTAGE TIMEPIECE

      Clocks, we seem to spend our lives watching them and trying to beat them sometimes, especially when work beckons. I have been fortunate enough to be retired now for nearly two years and must admit it is wonderful not to be clock watching all the time and no alarm clock either. A very good friend of mine retires in a few months so I thought I would  combine the requirements for two challenges to make her a card. The challenge at Claritystamps this month is clocks and at Sweet Lilac flowers it is Vintage. 
        
                  I started by making my own background paper to get a vintage finish.  I used three different shades of ink and just brushed them on lightly until I got the right depth of colour.




                         
         I blended around the edges with the Pumice Stone ink just to help with the ageing.                              

       Next using the Alium stamp and the script stamp from the Journal set I randomly stamped over the card. Now I was telling my eldest granddaughter that when I was young we used to blow the seeds off dandelions and count how many times it took to clear them all.  Whatever number we reached was supposed to be the time, not very reliable really. My dad used to tell me off for scattering the seeds over his lawn. 




        I drew around part of the clockwork stencil onto black paper and cut out the part I wanted. Took a while but achieved the effect I was after. You can see from the picture I use this stencil quite a bit.
   

                        The cutout part was then stuck onto a corner of the base card.




           
              I found the perfect sentiment amongst my stash , Time for Something New, That is what retirement is all about I reckon. Stamped it onto some matching  card, trimmed back and rounded the corners. Mounted onto some black card and  added to the base card.



                                  


       Just some finishing touches now, I added a few of the Sweet Lilac flowers and a butterfly.   I cut the butterfly down a little as I did not need it quite so large. This stamp is perfect for that though.



   




       Finally I mounted the completed design onto black card and a scalloped card base.







         I like to add an insert to my cards just gives the finishing touch and a chance to add a verse.


                                   I also added a little finishing touch to the envelope.



                              Items Used to create this card.
                                 Clockwork Stencil  
                                  Alium Stamp
                                  Journal Set
                                 Butterfly Stamp
                                Sweet Lilac Flowers

     Hope you all like this, would love you to leave a comment if you have time.  ( Ha ha, bit of a play on words there).  Thankyou. xx                   

24 comments:

  1. Hi Lynne, I love how all your different techniques and components have come together so seamlessly to create a wonderful card - a delightful present and keepsake for your friend. Good luck with the Clarity 'Clock' Challenge and thank you for taking the time to enter. ;~}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Shelagh. It all worked out well this time, I get a picture in my head of how I want my card to look but does not always work out. xx

      Delete
  2. What a great card Lynne, I'm sure your friend will love it. Lots of fabby work and attention to detail going on. Thanks for entering the Clarity challenge, and good luck. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my friend will like it usually she keeps my cards on display for ages. Will be good when she is retired as we live opposite each other. Thankyou for your kind comment Barbara. xx

      Delete
  3. I love the clock theme. Really lovely background with the script and dandelions. My favourite stamps. Good luck in the challenge. Von x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have made some lovely cards with the alium stamps Von. Thanks for your good wishes. xx

      Delete
  4. Love what you have done for this months clocks tryed to get into it last night would not allowed good luck clarity challenge x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had not done the link right. Suddenly realised in the middle of the night it might not work. Thankyou for trying again and your kind comment. xx

      Delete
  5. Lovely card Lynne, I especially like how you've used the stencil. I'm sure your friend will love it too. Thank you for entering the Clarity challenge, good luck! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Angela. I do like this stencil, quite useful for the male cards. xx

      Delete
  6. Wonderful Lynne, beautifully done inside and out. Thanks for entering the Clarity Challenge and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thankyou Naomi. I like to finish inside if I can, means I can often personalize the card a bit more. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely card Lynne and as Naomi says both inside and out. Good luck and thanks for entering the Claritystamp challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Linda. This was a good challenge will be interesting to see how everyone interprets it. xx

      Delete
  9. Hi Lynne, gorgeous vintage effect to your card, fab use of the flowers too, thanks for sharing with us at Sweet Lilac, hugs Liz xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Liz, so kind. I am enjoying using vintage effects at the moment. xx

      Delete
  10. Great card Lynne and a very helpful step-by step. Good luck in the challenge x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Lesley. Not always sure I explain myself very well but the photos help. xx

      Delete
  11. Lovely card Lynne, I'm sure your friend will love it. You must have had plenty of 'time' and patience for all that fussy cutting. Thanks for entering the Clarity challenge, and good luck. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha not too sure about the time bit Barbara but I do enjoy cutting out. I really wanted that bit to be black so this was my way of achieving it. Thankyou for your kind comment x

      Delete
  12. Hiya Lynne. Sorry I am late to comment. This is a fabulous card. I love the details and the stamping. A simply brilliant design as always. Best of luck in the challenge xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Emma hope you are recovering from your walk up Ben Nevis. Such an achievement. Thankyou for your lovely comments. x.

      Delete
  13. What a lovely card, Lynne. I too have some stencils that are now somewhat less than pristine, more well-loved. Thank you for your visit and kind comments on my offering. xxx Maggie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Maggie. There are just some stencils that can be so versatile, keep going back to them. Your card is beautiful, so well thought out. x

      Delete