Translate

Sunday, 22 March 2015

APPLIQUE BIRD

   A little bit of a change with this design, I have done some sewing for a change. The challenge for this month at CLARITYSTAMPS  is   Anything but a Card.  I love lots of different crafts, have to try most things and over the years have done quite a bit of sewing, so thought I would use those skills for this challenge.  I decided to do some hand applique on a canvas bag, at least I will have a nice colourful bag for my shopping.  I have chosen two stencils for the design---- The Filligraphy Flower and The Birds on a Branch which was a design club one. 

      
                                                                  
 Birds on a Branch
Filligraphy Flower



                                                                            
                                                             
      I drew round the flower stencil in pencil onto the canvas bag just to be able to get the position right. Then cut all the pieces out of cotton fabric backed with some iron on interfacing to stop it fraying. I hand sewed them in place using a buttonhole stitch. 



                                                                                                     

 

           I mixed up the fabric designs a little to add some interest, also stitched a few seed beads in place at the base of the flower.   I hand stitched the stem, bit too fiddly to applique.




   The bird has a small piece of Angelina fibres for the breast and beads again to give the impression of markings. The other features were added with chain stitch and a bead for his eye. I extended the branch across the width of the bag.










Finished Design on Bag

     Well certainly very different to making a card but really shows how versatile these stencils can be. It has made me look at some of the others I have and I suspect there might be a few appliqued cushions appearing in our house. I bought some linen fabric ready when I was at the NEC this week. Hope you all like this and maybe it will give you some ideas of other ways to use these stencils and stamps. 

23 comments:

  1. What a clever idea! I love how you have created the design on to the bag. Mmmmm don't forget to share your cushions! Might want to put an order in..... Love Von xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Swap you a cushion for a blanket maybe. xx

      Delete
  2. What a great idea Lynne to use the stencils as templates for a design on your bag. I love the mix of fabrics and colours. Thank you for entering the Clarity challenge. Good luck! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Angela. Enjoyed this challenge. xx

      Delete
  3. Very nice way useing these stamps must of taken you a good while not a sticher but I think this is lovely xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou. Did not take me too long, great to look at different ways of using the stencils. xx

      Delete
  4. Beautiful design it's gorgeous it must have taken you ages. Thank you for entering the challenge and good luck. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou. I really enjoyed making this, I find hand sewing quite relaxing. xx

      Delete
  5. What a stunning bag. Wonderful. Thanks for entering the Clarity Challenge and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Naomi for your very kind comment. xx

      Delete
  6. It's so refreshing to see the stencils used in this way to decorate your bag, Lynne which would come in very handy here in Scotland where all carriers now come at a price. I must admit I've recently got the inclination to get some of my fabric stash out! Thank you for taking the time to enter the challenge and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is not going to be long before bags will be charged for here as well, think there will be some complaints so glad I am no longer working in a shop. Thankyou for your comment and hope you enjoy your stitching as well. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so lovely Lynne - you must be so patient to do all the hand stitching! It's a great idea though and fabulous way of using up little fabric scraps, thanks for sharing, Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thankyou Susan. I do like hand stitching and I am certainly going to look at some of the other stencils for some applique ideas. Got a lot of fabric scraps. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job Lynne. A beautiful design and such neat stitching. I love how you have used different fabrics, textures and beads. Thanks for entering the Clarity challenge, and good luck. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Barbara. Got so much fabric to use up, planning to get some sewing done in amongst all the other things I like to do. xx

      Delete
  11. So clever Lynne. I particularly like all the different stitches and texture on the bird. Good luck in the challenge. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thankyou Lesley. These stencils can certainly be used with a lot more things besides ink and paint. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. What can I say Lynne. Very talented lady and very versatile too. Love your bag. I love the stencils that you have used. Best of luck in the challenge. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Emma, lovely kind comments. I just love trying lots of different crafts, always fun to have a go even if results aren't always fantastic. xx

      Delete
  14. What a lovely bag Lynne - I would be proud to be carrying this! Made with such attention to detail, you have lots of patience, and so worth the fab end result. You must be very proud of your project!
    Good luck with Challenge 25.
    Carole xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thankyou Carole, that is a lovely comment. Must admit I am quite pleased with it and it folds up really small so can slip it into handbag easy. xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow that's clever. It just goes to show that the stencils can be used for so many other lovely craft projects other than card making
    this must have taken time to do but worth it for the end result
    Ju
    xx

    ReplyDelete