Translate

Monday, 19 January 2015

KNITTED RUFFLE BAG

     
        I would like to share something different that I have been doing. I used to knit a lot when my children were small but as they grew they preferred sweatshirts etc to mum's stripey creations. Anyway my granddaughter had seen these bags and thought I was the person to knit it for her. I did hers before Christmas and then her mum asked for one in black. So out came the needles again. 

       To make this bag I needed to use a ribbon yarn, it creates ruffles as you knit. I had never used it before so first of all it was a visit to YOU TUBE to find a tutorial to show me how to use it. There are plenty as you would expect. The yarn I used was CAN CAN DISCO yarn. 

     





       
       To make the bag more usable I made a lining for inside as I felt that items would snag on the inside. It is not difficult to do and I stitched it to the top edge of the bag. 


            INSTRUCTIONS
     1 ball of Can Can Disco yarn
     1 pair of 6mm and 5mm needles

   Using 6mm needles cast on 40 stitches keeping the yarn whole. Work four rows in moss stitch,   (knit 1  purl 1 making sure you start every row with a knit stitch.) This makes the base of the bag.
    Open up the yarn to form the ruffles and work 12 rows in stocking stitch. ( alternate rows of knit and purl)
    Then using the yarn whole again work 3 more rows in moss stitch.Then cast off using a 5mm needle. This makes the top edge firm and also shapes it slightly. 
   Fold bag in half with ruffles on the inside and sew along the bottom and side edge. You could use a matching cotton for this, but I cut a small length of the yarn and found that by pulling on the threads at the end I was able to get a length of matching wool. I used it double to make it stronger. 
   For the handle cut a piece of yarn to your required length and add about extra 1/4 length. You will need 3 pieces altogether because then they need to be plaited. Sew finished handle in place securely. 
  To make fastening cut another small length of yarn and fold in half and sew inside the centre back edge of the bag, sewing a matching button on the front. 

   I stitched lining in place after I had added handles and fastening as it hides any raw edges.


Hope you have a go at knitting one of these bags, it does not take too long once you get used to the yarn. I quite like the idea of knitting a square using this wool to make into a ruffled cushion front then backing it with a contrasting fabric. Will post a picture if I decide to give it a go. xx   

  
   

  


            

2 comments:

  1. Hadn't notice you sneak this post in! I love my bag! Its fab! Great for when I just need to take my purse. Will be using this a lot! Thanks mum! Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you pleased with it. The ribbon yarn is easier to use than I thought it would be. xx

      Delete